Best Premium Over-ear Wireless Headphones with Noise Cancellation – Hi-Fi sound without the wires & noise
These wireless over-ear headphones not only cut the cables but take it one step further and include active noise cancellation for the perfect Hi-Fi audio.
There is no denying that over-ear headphones are bulky but they offer the best aural experience and comfort given the size sound drivers and materials used these days.
Frequent travelers rejoice because there is nothing like a pair of full size headphones with active noise cancellation to keep the peace. These headphones also support a wired connection headphone should the use of Bluetooth is prohibit on flight. Still there are many airlines that allow in-flight wireless connectivity via WiFi or Bluetooth. If in doubt, ask the flight attendant or play it safe by using the wire, just remember to switch them off during take off and landing.
Most over-ear headphones claim to have noise reduction or noise isolation to reduce the background noise but few can claim to have active noise isolation. We look at premium wireless headphones with active noise cancellation for great sounds and the most immersive listening experience you can get.
So, our selection criteria is simple, the headphones need to be:
- a full size can, with over-ear muffs, sometimes known as around ear made with sufficiently soft padding and comfortable material for long term use.
- include active noise cancelling technology, able to pick up surrounding noise, analyse this and cancel it out with opposing sound waves.
Top 5 Best Premium Wireless Over-Ear Headphones with Active Noise Cancellation
Free to move without being held back by cables with one of these premium wireless headphones with noise cancellation, here is our definitive list:
Bose QuietComfort QC35 – HANDS-FREE, 40HRS
The Bose QuietComfort gets better each generation. Here is Bose’s flagship headphone with best-in-class noise cancellation and long battery life in wireless or wired mode.
- World-class noise cancellation makes quiet sound quieter and music sound better
- Volume-optimized EQ for balanced audio performance at any volume
- Wireless convenience, with easy Bluetooth and NFC pairing aided by voice prompts
- 20-hour battery life per charge; up to 40 hours in wired mode
- Noise-rejecting dual-microphone system for clear calls (hands-free) even in windy environments
Sony MDR-100ABN h.ear – HANDS-FREE
The super comfortable H.ear Wireless headphone from Sony not only sounds good with digital noise cancellation but looks good too in a choice of colours. The headphone is foldable and is priced to compete with some of the more expensive options here.
- High-Resolution Audio for uncompromising sound – experience digital music to the fullest with High-Resolution Audio.
- Digital Noise Cancelling for fewer distractions reduces a variety of ambient noise when listening to music.
- Two microphones built in to the headphones, one outside and one inside the housing, work with the digital noise canceling engine to cut out unwanted sound.
- NFC One-touch for instant connectivity with NFC-enabled device. Clear hands-free calling with built-in microphone and HD voice support.
- Dynamic HD 40mm drivers deliver authentic sound: 1.57 in High-Resolution compatible HD driver units reproduce frequencies up to 40 kHz and deliver a powerful, responsive low range.
- Maximum transfer rate: 990 kbps (approximately three times more data than conventional Bluetooth® audio).
Sony MDR-ZX770BN – HANDS-FREE, 13HRS
Another Sony can, this time the MDR-ZX770BN. Unlike the MDR-100ABN, this one is available in blue, shown below or black. Like other wireless headphones in this list, you can choose to use it wireless or wired. Sony offers 4 mode of usage.
- Convenient 4-way usage with Bluetooth & noise cancelling, Bluetooth audio streaming with AAC and aptX support, Convenient One-touch pairing with NFC, Digital Noise Canceling reduces ambient noise
- Built-in microphone for hands-free phone calling, rechargeable battery for up to 13hrs music, Passive mode for normal operation without battery usage.
- 40mm drivers deliver rich, full sound, Beat Response Control for tight bass/transient response
- Comfortable swiveling, around the ear design, Pouch, USB charging cable, and audio cable included
Senheiser Momentum 2.0 – 22 HRS
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless is a stylish, retro looking can with active noise-cancellation. It also folds up for compact storage and features excellent sound over Bluetooth and wired connections.
- The Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 is the 2nd generation of the range bringing enhanced comfort, folding ear pads and Active Noise Cancellation.
- Featuring Bluetooth® technology with aptX, the Momentum 2.0 can stream music directly from compatible devices, releasing a CD-quality sound for up to 22 hours.
- Control the sounds and calls from your Smartphone with an integrated in-line mic/remote.
- A new hinge system on the ear cups allows for the headset to be folded up and conveniently transported or stowed away.
- Exclusive materials such as stainless steel and real leather luxuriously finish off the overall appearance of the Momentum 2.0.
- The closed-back design of the headphones help to create a truer sound-scape while cutting down on background noise and sound leak.
Senheiser PXC 550 – HANDS-FREE, 30HRS
Another comfortable wireless headphone from Senheiser, the new PXC 550 hits the spot with frequent travellers especially with its foldable design, stylish look and ultra long battery life. Use CapTune app from Senheiser for more control over your music.
- Wireless Bluetooth 4.2, NFC, cable with remote offered lightweight, comfortable and collapsible for the perfect travel experience
- Freedom to travel without limits with 30 hours battery life, enough for any long haul flights, possibly even the return trip
- Adaptive noise cancellation, NoiseGard ensures superior sound in every environment
- Business class communications for vocal clarity and conference calling with triple microphone array system whtn taking calls in hands free mode
- Control and personalise sound through Senheiser’s CapTune app (iOS and Android)
- Sennheiser sound signature as standard
Beats by Dr. Dre Studi0 2.0 – HANDS-FREE, 12HRS
- Lightweight, foldable design with consistently powerful and intense sound
- Take calls, switch tracks and change volume from the cable so you don’t have to reach for your music player
- 12 hours rechargeable battery with Auto On/Off feature for blocking out external sound to give you powerful, crystal clear audio
- Dual-mode adaptive noise cancellation feature
- Take hands-free calls with built-in mic
Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 – ON-EAR, HANDS-FREE, 14HRS
So this isn’t quite over-ear or full size, but we couldn’t help put premium wireless headphone on our list, given that it comes active noise cancellation, with retro styling and touch contols. It ticks every box, just not over-ear.
- Premium, lightweight, wireless, active noise cancelling (ANC) headphones with two microphones, one inside and one outside for effective noise cancellation.
- Bang & Olufsen Signature Sound no matter if active noise cancellation is turned on or off.
- Aluminium touch interface on the right ear cup gives you complete control of your music and hands free function to take and make phone calls.
- Simple gestures back and forth, up and down or around, you will be able to control everything right from the ear cup from turning on the active noise cancellation, answering a call, change song or turn up the volume.
- Anodized aluminium and natural leather designed for comfort and style. Powered by Dynamic 40mm drivers.
- Wired or Wireless: Bluetooth 4.0 AptX , Audio cable 3.9′ with 3.5 mm jack included for wired performances.
- Battery life: Up to 14 hours of battery life with active noise cancellation and Bluetooth turned on.
- Micro USB cable for charging, Flight adapter and carrying pouch included. Up to 16 hours with Bluetooth only and 35 hours with ANC only.
Parrot Zik 2.0 by Philippe Starck – HANDS-FREE, 6HRS
For Parrot Zik 2.0, engineers have collaborated with the French designer Philippe Starck to provide the best audio and innovation in these comfortable and trendy new headphones.
- Parrot developed a movement recognition algorithm designed to be more simple and intuitive for the user. Zik 2.0 has a head sensor in the ear cushion which automatically detects if you are wearing the headphones. As soon as you take off the Zik 2.0, the music stops.
- A tactile panel on the right ear cup allows you to control your music and hands-free calls.
- Frequency response is fully customisable with the 5 band pro-equaliser available on the free dedicated application Parrot Zik 2.0 (iOS and Android).
- Active noise cancelling technology which adapts to your environment. Hands free call function with touch sensitive panel to place a call, answer a call or reject a call. It also reads the name or number of the caller with incoming calls.
- Wired or Wireless: Bluetooth AAC and NFC with line in cable 3.5mm plug included for wired performance.
- Battery life: Flight mode: ANC activated and line-in, ideal for long flights; will enable you to reach up to 18 hours (wired) Eco mode: ANC activated + line-in + Parrot Concert Hall effect; will enable you to reach up to 7 hours. • Regular mode: ANC activated + Bluetooth + Parrot Concert Hall effect; will enable you to reach up to 6 hours.