Prefer to make your cup of coffee just the way you like it combining manual and automatic process, then a semi automatic espresso machine is for you.
The Art of Pump Espresso Coffee
Chose between a single shot or double shot filter, attached this to the filter holder, sometimes known as portafilters and grouphead, then take your time to fill up the filter holder with ground coffee or freshly ground coffee of your choice.
Tamp the coffee using included/optional tamper and seat the filter onto the espresso machine locking it in place. Put your cup or cups on the drip tray and choose the desired dose of steam for your beverage and away it goes.
Watch the pressure brewed coffee drip into your cup , full of aroma and finished with a rich thick layer crema just as you would get from a trip to the coffee shop except , you did all this by yourself at home.
Such is the theater of coffee making with an espresso machine.
If you are a creature for routine and love every step there is to make your perfect cup of coffee in the morning then only one of these pump espresso machine will do.
Steam is forced through the ground coffee and filter using high pressure boiler, typically 15 bar pressure or more to make that delicious and strong, flavourful cup of espresso coffee.
You can then decide to either have it as an espresso or warm up some milk using the steam wand and add to this for a latte, froth full cream cold milk and add to this for a cappuccino or macchiato.
You can also warm up some chocolate milk and add to the espresso for a mocha. If you prefer a long coffee, simply add hot water to your espresso using the dedicated hot water outlet or manually dispense hot water to the amount you need from the machine.
You are in charge.
10 Best Pump Espresso Machines
Here is our line-up of the 10 best espresso machines in the market right now.
- Breville BES920XL Dual Boiler Espresso Machine – OUR FAVOURITE
- Breville BES840XL the Infuser Espresso Machine
- Breville 800ESXL 15-Bar Triple-Priming Die Cast Espresso Machine
- Mr. Coffee Cafe Barista Espresso Maker – AUTOMATIC MILK FROTHER
- Gaggia 12300 Baby Class Espresso Machine
- Gaggia 14101 Classic Espresso Machine
- De’Longhi EC680 Dedica 15-Bar Pump Espresso Machine – COMPACT, SMALL FOOTPRINT
- Capresso EC100 Pump Espresso Machine
- De’Longhi ECP3420 15 Bar Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Machine
- De’Longhi EC155 15 Bar Pump Espresso
Let’s take a closer look at each of these:
1. Breville BES920XL Dual Boiler Espresso Machine – OUR FAVOURITE
- Dual stainless steel boilers for simultaneous espresso extraction and steaming with optional Auto Start setting to preheats the machine at a programmed time.
- Over Pressure Valve (OPV) which limits the maximum pressure throughout the extraction, preventing bitter flavors in the shot and true low pressure pre-infusion, which gradually increases the pressure to gently expand the grinds for an even extraction
- Electronic PID temperature control for precise water temperature with backlit LCD display – TEMPERATURE CONTROL
- Dedicated hot water outlet for long Americano coffee. Shot clock and pressure gauge and razor dosing tool everything needed to make a proper barista out of you. Includes water hardness test strip, descale alert and LCD assisted descale procedure. – PRESSURE GAUGE & SHOT CLOCK
- Top fill 84 ounce (2.5L) water tank – BIGGEST CAPACITY WATER TANK
- 15 bar pump pressure with pre-infusion function applies low water pressure at the start of the extraction to gently expand grinds for an even extraction and auto purge function automatically adjusts water temperature after steam for optimal espresso extraction temperature. Dry puck feature removes excess water from the ground coffee after use for easy removable.
- Complete volumetric control with preset, manual over-ride or re-programmable volumes and pressure gauge – VOLUME PROGRAMME & PRESSURE GAUGE
- Includes single and dual wall filters, coffee scoop, stainless steel jug, cleaning disc and tablets, cleaning tool, water filter holder and filter. The removable 54mm tamper is stored magnetically on the machine when not in use.
- 61 ounce (1.8L) removable water tank, removable drip tray, dedicated outlet for hot water.
- Available in three different colours
- 15 bar pump pressure using Thermoblock Heating system with triple prime pump that releases 3 burst of hot water to moisten the ground coffee to extract the fullest flavour and auto purge function that automatically adjusts water temperature after steam for anti-burn and optimal espresso extraction
- 75-ounce removable front fill water tank – BIG CAPACITY WATER TANK
- Included: filters, tamping tool, cleaning tool and stainless steel frothing pitcher
4. Mr. Coffee Cafe Barista Espresso Maker with Automatic Milk Frother – AUTOMATIC MILK FROTHER
- 15 bar pump pressure with integrated milk container
- The only pump espresso in our list with automatic milk frother with removable milk reservoir
- Include single or double shot filter, measuring scoop, tamper and coffee recipes
- Three pre-programmed for single or double shot espresso, cappuccino or latte, height adjustable cup platform for smaller or bigger cup, removable drip tray
- 55 ounce removable water reservoir
- 15 bar pump pressure from powerful boiler
- chrome plated brass brew group and heavy 58mm portafilter with single, double or E.S.E filters, coffee tamper and coffee scoop included
- 60-ounce removable reservoir
- 17.5 bar pump with high voltage boiler for hot water dispenser and frothing wand
- Single or double shot stainless steel filter basket, tamper and measuring scoop included
- 72-ounce removable water reservoir – BIG CAPACITY WATER TANK
7. De’Longhi EC680 Dedica 15-Bar Pump Espresso Machine – COMPACT, SMALLEST FOOTPRINT
- 15 bar pump pressure with thermo block technology allows machine to heat up to the ideal temperature in 40 seconds
- Compact, only take up 6-inch of space, saves counter space
- Flow stop feature delivers single or double shot espresso
- Three in one filter for single shot, double shot or espresso pod, built-in cup warmer, illuminated easy to use control panel
8. Capresso EC100 Pump Espresso Machine – SMALL
- Two filters for single or double espresso and espresso pods
- 45-ounce removable water container
- removable drip tray, built-in heavy duty cup warming platform
- 15 bar pressure pump
- Self priming operation for minimum start up time
- Second tier drip tray for larger cups
- Removable 37 ounce water tank
10. De’Longhi EC155 15 Bar Pump Espresso Machine – SMALL
- 15 bar pump pressure
- Works with ground or pod coffee with patented dual filter holder
- Two separate thermostats for water and steam pressure to be controlled separately
- 15 bar pump pressure
- Single and double cup filters
- 52 ounces (1.5L) removable water tank, built-in cup warming plate, detachable drip tray
If you are after fully automatic bean to cup espresso machine, check out our Super Automatic Espresso Machine article.