If you would prefer to make your own fruit and vegetable smoothies, nut milks and nut butters, baby food, ice cream from frozen fruits, juice from wheatgrass and other medicinal herbs/sprouts and tofu, then there is no better appliance to do this than a slow juicer.
In contrast to the tearing extraction and high speeds of centrifugal juicers, slow juicers function at lower speeds and gently compress fruit and vegetables to “press” out their juice. It uses an auger to press the fruit with a twist and screw action at low rotational speed, eliminating heat and has lower friction.
The result is visible with more homogenised fruit, vegetable or smoothie that does not separate so quickly and no foaming or frothing in the process of making the juice. It also meaning the juice is cold pressed with the living nutrients and enzymes intact, preserving the vital nutrients extracted from your produce. Giving you a fuller and more nutritions drink.
A research by Michelson Laboratories Inc, Korean Food Research Instutiute and internal labs to measure the nutritional values in a cold press compared to centrifugal juicer revealed that cold press juicers extract up to 42% more vitamin C, up to 60% more vitamin A and yield 35% – 50% more juice compared to centrifugal juices.
Which Juicer Are You?
So if you’re in the market for a new juicer, these are some of the things to think about:
- I just want fruit juice, quick and relatively easy cleaning – Centrifugal Juicer
- I want high quality juice – Slow Juicer
- I want to be able to extract nut milks – Slow Juicer
- I only ever drink orange juice but I want it fresh in the mornings – Citrus Juicer
There are two type of slow juicer currently in the market right now and they are the horizontal slow juicer and the vertical slow juicer. The juicing action on both of these juicers are pretty much the same, only the direction of flow differs. Both are fed via the fruit chute from the top down offering the advantage of gravity so as you feed the produce in the juicer, it will take over and do the juicing, no need to push or press. The vertical version however does make the most of this downward action compare to horizontal juicer.
Best Horizontal Slow Juicer for the UK Market
- ElectriQ HSL600 Horizontal Slow Masticating Juicer (White and Lime)
- Oscar Neo DA 1000 Slow Juicer (White or Black and Chrome)
- Omega Sana Juicer EUJ 707 (Chrome, Red or White)
- ANNDY All-in-One Slow Juicer (Black or Red)
Best Vertical Slow Juicer for the UK Market
- JR Ultra 8000 S Multipurpose Slow Juicer (Alpine White with Silver Handle)
- CUH 150W Professional Slow Juicer Extractor, (Stainless Steel)
- Tribest SW2000 Slow Star Vertical Juicer and Mincer (Red and Black)
- Optimum 600 Whole Fruit Slow Juicer (White)
- Kuvings Cold Press Wide Feed Juicer (Red)
- ElectriQ Premium Vertical Slow Juicer and Smoothie Maker (Silver)
- Optimum 400 Revolutionary Cold Press Slow Juicer (Black)
- Hurom Juicer HU-500 Slow Juicer (Red, Ivory, Silver)
- Greenis F9010 Vertical Slow Juicer (Lime Green)
- BioChef Atlas Whole Slow Juicer (Silver, Red, Black)
Let’s take a closer look at each of these slow juicers
Top 4 Best Horizontal Slow Juicer for the UK Market
1. ElectriQ HSL600 Horizontal Slow Masticating Juicer (White and Lime)
- Retains all the healthy nutrients – the masticating technology squeezes and crushes your fruit at slow speeds to make sure no healthy nutrients are killed in the juicing process.
- Great for juicing leafy greens & wheatgrass – the horizontal design will maximise juice yield for greens.
- Quiet and energy efficient – the slow spin speed means that when the juicer is on there is very little noise generated as well as making it extremely energy efficient.
- Easy to clean – all parts of the juicer are easy to clean and the juice also comes with a cleaning brush for the juicing screen.
- Can make soy, almond and other nut milks – juice nuts to make healthy milk full of homemade nut and soy goodness.
- BPA free parts.
2. Oscar Neo DA 1000 Slow Juicer (White or Black and Chrome)
- Power: 150 Watts motor
- Uses “Ultem Tough” technology for durability.
- Crushes and squeezes juice and vegetables with gentle, slow-turning action produces greater quantities of juice and retains more vitamins,minerals, enzymes and fibre.
- New pulp adjusting knob means you now have control over the pressure.
- Slow Juicer: extracts the maximum juice from celery, carrots, peppers, radishes, cabbage, kale in fact all vegetables including leafy greens such as parsely, spinach without destroying the vital enzymes. Extract juices from soft and hard fruits, even citrus fruits, skin and all. Wheatgrass, aloe leaves, pine needles and other medicinal herbs can be juiced with the Neo.
- Food processor: chops and minces meat, garlic, scallions, peppers, ginger and many other foods including herbs and seasonings. Organic baby foods or soft foods for pallative care are quick and easy to prepare.
- Pasta Nozzel: You can make delicious fresh pasta and noodles in just minutes with the handy pasta nozzles, you can make a range of nut butters, try cashew, hazelnut, houmus and tahini.
3. Omega Sana Juicer EUJ 707 (Chrome, Red or White)
- Power: TBC
- Super-slow masticating speed of just 70 RPM
- A coarse juicing screen to get optimum results when juicing soft vegetables and fruit, the first horizontal masticating juicer to include this.
- The standard fine juicing screen and homogenising and mincing juicing screen are also included with the Omega Sana
- Bigger feeding chute of 45mm at its widest section (compared to 40mm for the Omega 8004/8006)
- Pulp collector made from stainless steel and glass juice collector for maximum hygiene
- Certified as being free from BPS and BPA
Also: Omega Sana Juicer EUJ 606 (Chrome, Silver or Red)
4. ANNDY All-in-One Slow Juicer (Black or Red)
- Power: 150 Watts motor
- Low speed ensures full taste and nutrition. Nothing is lost through heated elements in your juicer
- Easy and fast to assemble and take apart for quick cleaning.
- Fruit Juice Extractor – efficiently juices soft and hard fruits.
- Vegetable Juice Extractor – juices all kinds of vegetables, including celery, carrots, peppers, radishes, cabbage
- Grass Juice Extractor – wheat grasses, aloe leaves and pine tree leaves are just some of the other natural products which can be juiced
- Food Processor – also chops and processes, providing natural flavour and nutrition from garlic, scallions, red pepper, ginger, radish and many other foods, including herbs and seasonings.
- Soft foods for special diets for babies are quick and easy to prepare with the processing strainer.
- Pasta Maker – Make fresh noodles in just minutes with the handy pasta noozzles
Top 5 Best Vertical Slow Juicer for the UK Market
1. JR Ultra 8000 S Multipurpose Slow Juicer (Alpine White with Silver Handle)
- Power: 240 Watt motor
- At 60RPM it is one of the slowest rotating juicers on the market giving the purest juice.
- The large feed chute allows for the juicing of far more fruits and vegetables in their whole form making juicing and cleaning far easier than standard slow juicers.
- The patented auger juices all fruit and veg including leafy greens far easier and the A.S.T.S (advanced squeeze technology) produces far more juice from far less produce.
- Quiet juicer with the new 2 piece body makes for far easier cleaning.
- Includes both smoothie and frozen dessert attachments for making far more than just juice and with the top of the range motor that is durable and built to last this juicer really is a must.
- The juice cap allows for juice to be pre-mixed and also allows water to be held in the system for pre-rinsing before cleaning.
- Fully Ultem plastic filters and Auger are the hardest material currently being used for juicer parts.
2. CUH 150W Professional Slow Juicer Extractor, (Stainless Steel)
- Powerful 150Watt Motor – The powerful and efficient low speed motor processes high fiber fruits and vegetables effortlessly without overheating.
- Slow juicer minimizes noise by using a high quality silence motor rather than the traditional high speed blade head at 65 decibels.
- Low speed operates at only 80RPM to produce longer lasting juice. Lower speed means less heat is generated, preserving more nutrients that are close to its natural form, as well as its delicious flavor.
- Uses a screw auger to crush and press the food in order to minimize oxidation and produce a healthier fresh juice.
- CUH slow juicer extracts more juice from foods due to its slow speed technology system, crushing and pressing foods like a mortar and pestle.
3. Tribest SW2000 Slow Star Vertical Juicer & Mincer (Red and Black)
- Powerful 200 watt motor
- Slow Juicing: Single, masticating auger spins at a slow 80 RPM to prevent oxidation and allows juice to be stored without degradation
- The Duoblade double-edged single auger creates a double cut, doing twice as much work compared to a traditional single auger
- BPA free construction on the housing and casing. Includes parts from super-tough GE Ultem material
- Quick juicing and cleaning: The vertical design allows juice to pass through much quicker compared to conventional juicers and the bespoke cleaning brushes make it super quick to clean.
- A convenient handle grip makes it easier to use and move around
- Safety switch ensures that the unit is only operational when properly assembled
4. Optimum 600 Whole Fruit Slow Juicer (White, Black or Red)
- Power: 240 Watts – MOST POWERFUL
- Slow Speed 60-65 RPM
- Big chute dimensions: 7.5CM (approx 3″) chute/feeding tube and tamper
- Up to 35% more juice than centrifugal brands.
- Intelligent reverse function and automatic reset button
5. Kuvings Cold Press Wide Feed Juicer (Red, Silver or White)
- Power: 240 Watts brushless motor for more power with minimal friction and noise – MOST POWERFUL
- Low speed motor and powerful motor to process citrus to very fibrous fruits and vegetables
- An extra-wide 3″ (7.5cm) feeding tube for juicing whole fruits and vegetables get more rich and nutritious juice from whole foods.
- Crush and squeeze whole apples at once preventing unwanted oxidation.
- Easy clean system Smart juice cap, External rotating easy brush Easy Assembly
- Smart Cap for convenient and spotless use – create various mixed juices, to stop dripping, and for self rinse.
- A dual safety system with a 3-way ventilation channel made with high quality and durable materials to provide the tastiest juice with most nutrition.
- Slow 55 RPM masticating super strong auger cold presses fruit and vegetables to ensure the juice retains all nutrients and minerals
- Maximum juice yield, minimal waste – the slow masticating technology extracts more juice than a centrifugal juicer meaning you get less waste and extremely dry pulp
- Smart mixing valve – a closing valve allows you to mix your juice before it is dispensed, minimising mess, preventing forming on your juice and giving you the smoothest possible juice
- Anti-clog reverse function – handy reverse function to eliminate clogging, making it ideal for long continuous juicing
- Dual juicing screens – 2 juicing screens, the fine screen will create super smooth juice with the coarse screen enabling you to create smoothies
Optimum 400 Revolutionary Cold Press Slow Juicer (Black, Silver or White)
- Power: 150 Watts
- Slow 65 RPM auger rotation.
- Masticating (chewing) method to produce a high-quality juice and because there is little friction, none of the juice is heated, which preserves the vital nutrients extracted from your produce.
- The auger action crushes and presses the food, releasing its deep-seated nutrients and enzymes. Richer-coloured juice containing large amounts of vitamins and minerals is a result of the phytonutrients being opened during this process.
- Oxidisation and separation are reduced due to the integrity of the cells of the ingredients in this method.
- Suitable to juicing leafy greens, grasses, sprouts and herbs with higher juice yield. Juice lasts longer, with enzyme integrity keeping for up to 72 hours. Lower speeds mean less heat is generated, preserving more nutrients and enzymes. Minimal juice separation and foaming with quiet squeezing action.
Hurom Juicer HU-500 HE Series Slow Juicer (Red, Ivory, Silver)
- Power: 150 Watts
- The squeezing screw and juice strainer are made from GE-Ultem material which is eight times stronger than the normal plastics used on juicers.
- All parts that come into contact with juice are BPA Free.
- New silicone juice cap prevents the juice from exiting the bowl until the cap is opened, allowing ingredients to be mixed together before opening the cap to release the liquid.
- There are incremental measurements up to 300ml marked on the juice bowl.
- Coarse screen is included with this model and dust cover for the hopper is included.
- Clean-up is easy with this juicer, simply pour water through the machine whilst it is running as normal and close the juice cap. The water will flush out the remaining pulp and juice. There are two cleaning brushes provided.
Greenis F9010 Vertical Slow Juicer (Lime Green)
- Power: Environmentally friendly; power consumption of 150watts with brushless induction motor
- Precise low 65RPM cold press multipurpose juicer.
- Vertical single double edged GE-Ultem auger juicer featuring great performance and a great price.
- Complete with homogenising screen and juice stopper tap.
- Ultra quiet operation 30-55 decibels
- Supplied complete with fine screen, coarse screen and homogenising screen
BioChef Atlas Whole Slow Juicer (Silver, Red, Black)
- Power: 150 Watts
- The BioChef Atlas Whole Slow Juicer is the fastest and most efficient cold press juicer on the market.
- Large feeding chute, 8cm x 8cm wide chute takes whole fruits such as apples, oranges, carrots, beetroot and more,without the need for you to chop or slice them prior to juicing.
- Convenient self-cleaning function
- Features EPT (Enzyme Protection Technology). No heat or friction is expelled during the extraction process, meaning the juice is cold pressed with the living nutrients and enzymes intact.
- The juice is fuller, with no froth or foam and is full of vitamins and minerals.