You have seen the list of the Best Robot Vacuum Cleaner, it is only time when you can get smart and clever robot lawn mowers that are just as reliable offering the best cutting result with minimal interaction. That time is now.
What To Look For in a Robotic Lawn Mower – Top 8 Considerations
1. Weather Proof – One the biggest factor when choosing a lawn mower if you have a big lawn is to make sure that it is weather resistant or weather proof. Being outside for long hours meant being under harsh weather conditions be it direct heat or rainy and cold climate. Both the electronics and motor needs to operate in the widest possible temperature range. Most lawn mowers have rain sensors. When it detects rain, it will stop mowing and return to base and will return again once the rain sensor clears up or according to a delay timer.
2. Automatic Charging – When the robot mower needs more power, it will find its way back to the charging station. Some mowers use guide wires to help the mower find its way back to the charging station to reduce searching time. This is particularly useful for complex gardens. Others require additional charging stations to be placed in each plot. The size of each plot is fixed to make sure that the robot mower does not run out of power before reaching the next charging station.
3. Maximum Lawn Area Coverage – Different robot mowers are design for different lawn sizes, these areas can be further divided into sections or plots, additional charging stations may be required for each plot depending on model. Some mowers lets you set the mowing pattern, irregular or straight and for any garden, square or odd shaped. Boundary or perimeter wires and pegs are used to confine the robot mower within an area or to mark the edge of the garden.
4. Security – Some robot mowers come equipped with anti-theft alarm that alerts you if the device is removed from your garden. This can be set according to your own choice. Others may incorporate a PIN code lock system for added protection.
5. Low Energy Consumption & Zero Emissions – most robotic mowers are energy efficient, run on rechargeable battery packs and cost only a fraction of the cost to charge compared to conventional lawnmowers. As it runs on electric only, there are no harmful emissions unlike fuel driven lawnmowers.
6. Safety – most lawn mowers come with lift and tilt sensors that cuts of the electricity to the motor and stops the blades from rotating when the unit is lifted off the ground or is tipped over. The blades are also a safe distance away from the edge of the machine giving it enough space to stop and redirect itself should it come across an obstacle and not cause any damage to the blades.
7. Programmable Timer and Settings – Using the settings panel, the robot mower can be personalised to fit many different gardens and to access the different features. You can decide if you want your mower to mow the lawn on different times and different days of the week.
8. Height Adjustment – just like your conventional lawn mower, you want to be able to adjust the cutting height to choose your preferred grass height.
- Place for charging stations; preferably shaded, cold and dry or covered area that doubles as storage
- Housing to charging station and robotic mower when not in use for protection from the elements
- Power cable to charging stations with couplers and connectors
- Take time to setup the boundary wires and peg for your garden, test and move this if required.
Best Robotic Lawn Mowers in 2015
Here is a look at 5 of the best robotic lawn mowers and how they compare with each other:
- Flymo Robotic Lawnmower 1200 R – SMALL AREA
- WORX WG794E Landroid Robotic Lawnmower – BIG AREA
- Bosch Indego Lawnmower – BIG AREA
- Robomow RC304 – SMALL AREA
- Husqvarna Automower 305 – SMALL AREA
And now for the details.
Flymo Robotic Lawnmower 1200 R – SMALL AREA
- Mows in an irregular pattern, daily mowing and mulching without the need to dispose of the grass clippings, ensuring all areas are covered, tilt and collision sensor, alarm and PIN code protection, charges automatically.
- Working Area: 400 m², 30 m² per hour | 25% incline
- Mowing Width: 17cm | Cutting Height: 20-50 mm
- Charging Time: 90 mins (1 hour 30 mins) | Running Time: 60 mins
- Noise Level: measured: 56 dB(A), guaranteed: 58 dB(A) | Power Consumption: 20W
- Dimensions and Weight: 58 x 46 x 25.5 cm / 22.83 x 18.11 x 10.04 inch, 7.4kg – LIGHTWEIGHT
WORX WG794E Landroid Robotic Lawnmower – BIG AREA
Mows in random directions and will make sure that the entire lawn is evenly mowed without leaving any unattractive mowing path. Rain sensor detects rain, stop mowing and follow the boundary wire back to charging station. A delay start function can be set between 0-180 mins when for when it rains. No programming needed, starts with a push of a button or program the exact mowing days and times to suit.
- Working Area: 1000 m², approx. 33 m² per hour | 35% incline
- Cutting Width: 18cm | Cutting Height: 20-60mm
- Charging Time: 1.5 hours | Running Time: TBC
- Noise Level: 63dB(A) Power Consumption: 50W
- Dimensions and Weight: 8.9kg
Bosch Indego Lawnmower – BIG AREA
- Quick blades stop when lifted, mulching technology keeps clippings short, Security PIN Code protection and alarm system, obstacle detection with bumper sensor, work in most weather conditions, automatic charging. Measures and map the garden along the edges and calculates the shortest possible route and mow in orderly parallel lines (Logicut)
- Working Area: 1000 m² , up to 100 m² per hour, Logicut for parallel line cutting and reducing time spent on lawn or without Logicut for random cut | 35% incline
- Mowing Width: 26cm ( 3 blade centrifugal) | Cutting Height: 20 – 60 mm
- Charging Time: 50 mins | Running Time: 50 mins (32.4V/3,0 Ah Lithium-ion battery)
- Dimension and Weight: 11.1kg
Also available Bosch Indego Connect with Smartphone App connectivity
Robomow RC304 – SMALL AREA
- Rain sensor, modular design, snap on blades, unique edge mode, floating deck, Robomow App, premium drive wheels, silver plated parts
- Working Area: 400 m² (3 plots) – base station every 200 sq metres
- Single blade 28cm mowing width | Mowing Height: 15-60mm
- Charging time: 60-90 mins | Running time: 45-50 mins | 26V Lithium (LiFePO4)
- Noise Level: ECO mode: 64 dB High Load: Measured: 67.9 dB Guaranteed: 69 dB
Also available: Robomow RC306 Automatic Robotic Lawn Mower – MEDIUM AREA
Husqvarna Automower 305 – SMALL AREA
- The basic model; affordable and suitable for small lawn, reliable, low noise, unique cutting system. 15 button keypad, LCD display with settings menu, timer, alarm, pin code, installation lock, time lock, lift and tilt sensor, extra blades, loop wire and staples included
- Working Area: 500 m²
- Cutting Width: 17 cm (3 pivoting blades) | Mowing Height: 20 – 50mm
- Charging Time: 90 mins | Running Time: 60 mins
- Sound Level: 58 dB | Power Consumption: 20W
- Dimensions and Weight: 55 x 39 x 25 cm, 6.7 kg
Here is a quick list of higher and more expensive models.
- WORX WG790E Landroid Robotic Lawn Mower 28V 18cm 899.99 800m²
- WORX WG796E Landroid MII Robotic Mower with Smart Phone App 28V 18cm 999.99 1000m²
- Robomow RC312 Automatic Robotic Lawnmower 1200m²
- Robomow RS612 Automatic Robotic Lawnmower 1200m²
- Robomow RS622 Automatic Robotic Lawnmower 2200m²
- Robomow RS630 Automatic Robotic Lawnmower 3300m²
- Husqvarna Automower 330X 3200m²
- Husqvarna Automower 265 ACX 6000m²