GoPro Hero 7 Black & Alternatives: Best action cameras you can take anywhere
Need to capture all those action footages during your travels without the camera getting in the way, the GoPro Hero 7 Black will do a good job at that. But, what about other action cameras. We look at some of the best go anywhere action cameras as alternatives to the GoPro Hero 7 Black.
1. GoPro Hero 7 Black
The Go Pro Hero 7 is a bleeding edge camera with amazing image stabilisation and Ultra High Definition 4K recording at 60fps. The tiny action camera may have a new rival in the shape of DJI Osmo Action (also featured here) but it is a proven platform with integrated live streaming capabilities.
The unit is extremely rugged and works in water up to 10 meters deep without the aid of a waterproof housing. Go Pro has gone one step further by integrating voice control to make it even easier to use. All you have to do it ask it to start recording hands-free. Recording options include 4K at 60fps, Slo-Mo at 240 fps and time lapse.
You can also use it to take stabilised photos. If the setting is enabled, the action camera will capture stills in HDR for reduced noise, enhanced depth and wider colour. This is a perfect travel companion and is great for those who like the outdoors, sports and adventure activities.
- Dual screen with front monochrome and main colour touchscreen
- HyperSmooth video stabilisation for smooth footage
- Create time lapse videos on the move with Time Warp Video mode
- Capture Super Photos with HDR, local tone mapping or noise reduction to optimise the shots
- Rugged and waterproof housing up to 10m
- Voice Control for hands-free operation to take a photo, start recording and more.
- Live stream video to Facebook Live and save the streamed videos to SD card in High Resolution
- Capture 4K video at 60fps, 8x Slo-Mo video Full HD at 240fps or 12MP stills
2. DJI Osmo Action
DJI Osmo Action camera is aimed squarely at GoPro’s flagship camera, the Go Pro Hero 7 Black. Just like Hero 7 black, it comes with image stabilisation, an important feature in any action camera. It goes further by offering dual colour screens both front and back. It is capable of shooting amazing 4K footage at 60fps or 8x slow motion at Full HD resolution with 240fps. The key here is that it supports HDR video capture for enhanced dynamic range and better transition between light and dark areas.
This durable, versatile action camera is jam-packed with advanced technology that lets you spend less time worrying about equipment and more time living the action.
Shooting modes include 4K HDR, 8x slow motion, Timelapse, Timed Shooting Mode and Custom Exposure Settings. The latter lets you set up to 120 seconds of exposure perfect for capturing the clear night sky. What’s more, the housing is waterproof up to 11m and it works with GoPro mount accessories. DJI claims that the battery is designed to work in extreme cold temperature of -10℃ should your travels take you places with cold climate.
We like the front 1.4-inch display as this lets users accurately frame their selfie video. The main 2.25-inch display located on the back of the camera is also a touchscreen and is treated with water and fingerprint repellent coating. That is one colour display more than on Go Pro 7 black. While there are preset shooting modes, use the Custom mode to store, list and call up frequently used shooting mode and settings.
Plus, the Quick Switch QS button lets you access the modes quickly and easily. And, with five voice commands, you can start recording, shoot stills and power down the device among other things hands-free. The SnapShot feature lets you press the shutter button to quickly power on the camera and start recording in under 2 seconds, ensuring that you never miss any moments.
- Dual screen, colour front and rear main screen
- RockSteady stabilisation tech combining EIS with complex algorithms
- Captures 4K HDR videos 60fps at 100Mbps
- Natural transitions between light and dark areas
- Shooting modes: 8x Slow Motion (at 1080p with 240 fps), Time lapse Capture, Custom Mode Settings
- Waterproof up to 11m, withstand cold down to -10℃ temperature resistant batteries
- The Quick Switch button ensures modes and settings are easily and quickly accessible.
- Five voice commands make essential functions like filming, capturing photos, and powering down the device effortless.
3. Insta360 One X
Staying away from the standard match box format, the Insta360 One X has a candy bar profile. Using a pair of wide angle cameras, forward and rear facing, it can capture photos and videos in all directions at once. Combined, the 360 degree videos are 5.7K resolution. Turn on the 50 fps mode and it will capture butter smooth footage. In still capture mode, it will shoot 18MP photos with stunning quality.
The action camera is capable of gimbal like stabilisation. Dubbed FlowState, captured video are as smooth as it gets without the use of an actual gimbal. Use the app’s Time Shift function for slow motion or hyperlapse to speed things. Pair the camera with Insta360’s invisible selfie stick and have the camera automatically remove it from sight for a 3rd person view.
The ONE X app is capable of some exciting and serious editing including re-framing, connecting and merging favourite clips with music and effects. The app is available for both iOS and Android. The ONE X app can be used to create slow motion in 3K at 100fps. Onboard WiFi lets you transfer files quickly at 5GHz or use the cable for 50M/s transfer.
- Ultra-thin 28mm case keeps the two lenses close for immaculate stitch
- 210° Ultra-wide fisheye lenses, 1/2.3′: Sony CMOS sensor, F 2.0 Large aperture
- Leading image quality – 5.7K resolution makes your 360 Degree videos look sharp, while 18MP shots make for stunning photo quality. Turn on 50Fps mode to make your video buttery smooth.
- Flow state stabilization – flow state is as smooth as it gets. Traditional Action cameras are left shaking.
- Drift shots – snap into the drifter accessory and let your camera take flight. Airborne slow-mo. From a camera that shoots in every direction at once. You’ve never seen angles like this before.
- Wi-fi preview and transfer – Shoot and transfer in a snap. 50MB/s Cable transfer and 5GHz high-speed Wi-Fi transfer.
- Time shift – Highlight key moments with cinematic slow-mo., or speed things up with a stabilized Hyper lapse. All in the app.
- Durable, impact-resistance and temperature regulation – all in a featherlight 3.2-ounce body.
4. Yi 4K+ Action Camera
A budget entry, the Yi 4K+ Action Camera cost less than half the price of the GoPro Hero 7 Black. Still, it is capable of shooting 4K footage at 60fps using the onboard Sony IMX377 image sensor. It can also be used it to capture 12MP stills or Full HD video clips.
Yi 4K+ Action Camera on Amazon
For best video result, record your 4K footage in 30fps. This ensures that captured video is super smooth and steady plus the setting is great for shooting fast-moving objects.
Thanks to the Electronic Image Stabilisation (EIS) system, videos are smooth. The ultra responsive 2.2-inch touchscreen is protected with Gorilla Glass. Use this to change settings, switch shooting modes, preview and playback footage.
Finally, on a full charge, the camera offers 70 minutes usage time, recording 4K video at 60fps. Use the USB-C port for power delivery to charge up the camera and faster data transfer. Other features include voice control, RAW image capture, Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity and external Type-C microphone support.
Unfortunately, at this price, the camera is not waterproof nor rugged. You will need a separate housing for that.
- Record 4K/60fps video with Sony IMX377 image sensor
- Captures 12MP pictures and high-quality full HD footages
- Superb Image Stablization with Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS)
- Ultra responsive 2.2” Gorilla Glass touchscreen and intuitive UI
- 1200mAh capacity battery supports video recording at 4K / 60fps for up to 70 minutes
- USB-C connector offers more efficient power delivery and faster data transfer
5. Sony RX0 II
A successor to the Sony RX0, the Sony RX0 II is a serious action camera. It uses a 1-inch stacked back-illuminated Exmore RS CMOS sensor paired with 24mm F4.0 Zeiss tessar wide-angle lens. What it all mean is it can delivery high resolution and good quality images.
This is a true matchbox size camera. Compact and small, its housing is made from Duralumin, designed to be water, shock and crush proof. It is waterproof down to 10 meters and is shock proof to impact of drop to the ground from heights up to 2 meters. Where crush proof is concerned it will survive under the weight of 200kgf or 2000N.
Capture incredibly smooth 4K footage with Pro features and Electronic Image Stabilisation (EIS). Use the convenient LCD display that tilts up 180 degrees or down 90 degrees for high and low angles shots perfect for selfie-shooting and vlogging. The action camera can also be used to capture still up to 15.3MP.
Two slow motion levels can be achieved. The standard slow motion captures HD video with sound at 120fps while the Super Slow Motion mode captures at frame rates up to 960 or 1000fps. To achieve such high frame rates, a Class 10 or higher SDXC or SDHC flash card is a must.
6. GoPro Hero 7 White
The cheaper Full HD version of the flagship Hero 7 Black, this action camera is just as capable if you don’t mind recording in lower resolution. Even at a lower price point, it still comes with onboard touch screen, waterproof housing and voice control. You just have to be content with only being able to shoot Full HD video footage. For stills, it captures 10MP photos.
- Rugged and Waterproof design
- Intuitive Touch Screen with streamlined capture modes
- Records Full HD video or capture time lapse videos to turn longer events into short, shareable moments
- Takes 10MP photos in standard or Burst mode for 15 photos in one second
- Video Stabilization lets you records smooth, steady video
- Shoot Vertically – Capture photos and videos in portrait orientation for Snapchat and Instagram Stories
- Photo Timer to grab a GoPro selfie or group shot
- Supports voice commands
BONUS: DJI OSMO Pocket
Not exactly an action camera but it does come with image stabilisation and 3 axis stabilised gimbal to capture shake free 4K video footage. The compact camera is a handheld camera no bigger than a candy bar and has easy access buttons, display and waterproof case.
Yes, the waterproof case is what makes this a convincing action camera. It can withstand being under water for down to 60 meters. This pitches the handheld camera squarely against GoPro’s cameras with many added advantages.
Plus, it has a big 1/2.3-inch CMOS sensor that captures 4K videos at 60 fps and with the on board storage, capable of storing up to 140 minutes of video. The display is actually a touchscreen, letting you control the different modes including Active Track, Face Track and manual framing.
It can also be used to shoot 12MP still images at a touch of a button. You can then use the free companion app to manage and view your shows. Also use the DJI Mimo app to edit the captured video footages, adding templates, filters and music to the videos before sharing them.
Related: DJI Osmo Pocket: The vloggers’ must have 3-axis stabilised handheld camera (on our sister site)