The home kitchen is naturally the laboratory heart of the house, with access to heat and water, it does not take much to dream up new fascinating things to experiment with, food, cakes, drinks; of course the difference being that most kitchenware look nothing like laboratory glassware, with a few provisos, measuring jugs and digital scales.
However, if you’re a fan of cold brew coffee, some of these cold coffee drip makers look like they have come straight-out of a laboratory. Cold brew coffee aficionados know that it takes the controlling of multiple variables to obtain the best brew, from the ph of the water, to the flow and drip rate, fine tuning and experimenting with different types of beans – all result in differing tastes and smells.
To those new to Cold Brew Coffee:
The cold-brew coffee making process is known for delivering smooth, low-acid coffee. The grounds never come in contact with hot water, resulting in a less acidic, less bitter flavour. Steeping the grounds in cold water releases only the most aromatic flavours, so you can wake up to fresh coffee concentrate every day for delicious hot or cold coffee without the acidity.
How to Make Cold Brew Coffee
It’s easy. Start with a measuring jar and a glass water container. Use one spoon full of coffee ground for every 100ml of fresh filtered cold water. That’s approximately 100 grams of ground coffee for every 100 ml of water. For example, if you have a big water container with more than 1 litre capacity, use 10 scoops full of coffee grounds. Remember to give it a good stir to mix both the water and coffee ground together.
Leave the coffee to steep in the cold water for 12 to 24 hours depending on your preference and taste. If you are new to this, try 12 hours then 16 hours then 24 hours to truly appreciate the difference. Ideally you want the jug of coffee ground and cold water mix in a cold and dark place. Avoid direct sunlight or heat source. If you can’t find a suitable corner in the house, put it in the refrigerator.
After the allotted time, you will end up with concentrated coffee essence. Here, you can either add ice and syrup or dilute it further with cold water to make your prefect brew. Optionally, try it with milk, lemon juice or non-dairy milk alternatives such as oat milk, soy milk, almond milk, cashew milk, hemp milk, rice milk or coconut milk.
For an idea of how rich and creamy or thin and watery each dairy alternative is, see finding the best non-dairy milk for coffee.
For ease of filtering, use a modern tea pot or cafetiere french press with built-in filter. That way, the coffee ground is allowed to steep in the cold water and when ready, you can pour the brew straight out minus the grounds. Otherwise, you will need a fine mesh strainer.
Step-by-Step Instruction to Make Your Own Cold Brew Coffee at Home
What You Need: Filtered cold water, coffee ground, glass jar (mason jar is an option), measuring jug, table spoon and measuring spoon, fine mesh filter.
- Measure and add cold water into a suitable glass jar. If this is going into the fridge, make sure there is room for it there.
- Add ground coffee, 1 scoop for every 100ml of water. I use a 1 litre glass jar but only fill it up with 800ml of cold filtered water. This allows for room to add the grounds.
- Give the mixture a good stir for at least 1 minute or until the water and coffee is evenly mixed.
- Leave the mixture to steep for 12 to 24 hours in a cold and dark place. A good place would be in the fridge. If you are keeping it in the fridge, use a glass bottle with air tight lid or use a food grade plastic film to cover the glass jar. This keeps odours from other food from affecting your brew.
- Finally, when the brew has reached your desired steeping time, pour it through a fine mesh filter into a cup. Fill the cup up to 1/3 or 1/2 then add syrup, cold water, ice, milk or non-dairy alternative to dilute it and enjoy.
Note: The cold brew can be kept in the fridge for up to 10 days. If you decide to do this, filter and remove the coffee grounds and only keep the brew. Typically, if left for over 24 hours with the ground coffee still inside, the brew will start to taste bitter and may be too strong for some.
If you are a regularly cold brew drinker and loves the mellow and rich velvety taste with a hint of fruity and floral aroma, invest in a purpose built cold brew coffee maker from our list below.
Top 10 Best Cold Brew Coffee Maker
Here we indulge in a fascinating list of spectacular cold-brew coffee equipment, from the most simple immersion types (see Kitchen Aid) to the most complex glassware (see Yama glass cold dripper)
- Hario Coffee Water Dripper Wood Cold Brew Drip WDW-6 2-6 cups 780ml
- KitchenAid KCM4212SX Cold Brew Coffee Maker – 14 cups
- Yama Glass 25 Cup Cold Drip Maker Straight Black Wood Frame – 25 cups
- Trinity ONE 3-in-1 Press Drip Immersion Specialty Coffee Maker 1-2 cups
- OXO Good Grips Cold Brew Coffee Maker – 12-14 cups
- Glass Pitcher 1 Quart Iced Cold Brew Coffee Maker – with Removable Filter – 5 cups
- Cold Drip Coffee Maker Tower BD-10 Cups Oakwood (10 cups)
- Yama Glass 6-8 Cup Cold Drip Maker Straight Black Wood
- Iwaki Water Drip 4 Cup Cold Brew Dutch Coffee
- Osaka 6 Cup Cold Brew Coffee Dripper(30oz/900ml)
1. Hario Coffee Water Dripper Wood Cold Brew Drip WDW-6 2-6 Cups 780ml
- capacity: 26oz (780ml) (about 2-6 cups)
- Water reservoir, filter cup, and coffee pot: Hario’s highest quality heat resistant glass, wooden stand, the double MagMag and cock joint and stainless steel filter
2. KitchenAid KCM4212SX Cold Brew Coffee Maker – 14 cups
- Capacity: up to 14 servings 28 oz
- Simply mix 2 oz of Coffee concentrate with every 6 oz of your favorite milk, water or ice
- Small footprint ideal fit for any refrigerator or kitchen counter with stainless steel dispenser tap and carrying handle for easy portability
3. Yama Glass 25 Cup Cold Drip Maker Straight Black Wood Frame – 25 cups
- Capacity: 3000ml or 25 cups [BIG CAPACITY]
- Permanent ceramic filter produces acid free coffee
- Great for tea or coffee
- Press, Drip or Immersion, here is a 3-in-1 coffee maker to suit your every needs.
- Filter head allows you to control the flow in order to steep coffee, stop drips, pour into multiple cups, and cold brew
5. OXO Good Grips Cold Brew Coffee Maker – 12-14 cups
- Perforated Rainmaker evenly distributes water over coffee grounds for optimal flavor extraction
- Simple Brew-Release switch controls filtration process with one flick
- Ultra-fine, stainless steel mesh filter is reusable and easy to clean
- Borosilicate glass carafe includes measurement markings, pairs with stopper to keep coffee fresh in refrigerator
6. Airtight Glass Pitcher 1 Quart Iced Cold Brew Coffee Maker – with Removable Filter – 5 cups
- Dual filter technology made from 18/8 stainless steel is designed to achieve an optimal brew
- The cylinder filter is easily removable and washable and consists of an inner layer of high-quality mesh and an outer layer of wider laser-cut mesh.
7. Cold Drip Coffee Maker Tower BD-10 Cups Oakwood (10 cups)
ALSO: Cold Drip Coffee Maker Tower BD-17 Oakwood (4-6 cups)
8. Yama Glass 6-8 Cup Cold Drip Maker Straight Black Wood – 6-8 cups
- This coffee and tea brewer is an new contemporary design just introduced by Northwest Glass Designs.
- The glass is produced by Yama Glass and has the same fine quality as all of the Yama coffee and tea makers, made in Taiwan.
- Just put the coffee or tea into the medium glass beaker, add ice water to the top and set the brass fitting for the desired drip time. (3-4 hour drip cycle is recommended)
9. Iwaki Water Drip 4 Cup Cold Brew Dutch Coffee – 4 cups
- Iwaki Water Drip Cold Brew Coffee Maker has a plastic upper and glass decanter
- Has a capacity of 4 cups
- Slow extraction results in ultra smooth coffee
- The process will take about 8 hours.
10. Osaka 6 Cup Cold Brew Coffee Dripper (30oz/900ml) – 6 cups
- The unique dripper gives you full control over the quality of your coffee.
- The stainless steel filter is reusable and offers richer better-tasting coffee.
- The top chamber is constructed of durable plastic, designed to keep your brew as cold as possible.
- The carafe is made from top quality glass and comes with a lid easy storage
ALSO: Osaka 4 Cup Cold Brew Coffee Dripper (20oz/600ml)
Airtight Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker with Spout – 1.5L/51oz
- gosh! DRIPO Cold Brew Portable Barista Iced Coffee Maker
- Cold Bruer Drip Coffee Maker B1
- Hario Water Dripper (Clear)
- Cold Drip Coffee Maker 6 – 8 Cups Heat Resistant Glass BD-6
- NISPIRA Pour Over Hand Drip Coffee Maker
- Dutch Q Cold Brew Coffee Iced Coffee Maker Drip Coffee Dutch Coffee Maker
- DELISI Cold Brew Iced Dripper Coffee Maker (600ml, 4Cup)