Those familiar with Bluetooth audio streaming would have experienced breaks and signal drops when moving away from the source. Long range Bluetooth transmitter receivers solve that problem by overcoming the range limitation. We take a look at the options available to get strong and dependable signals.
These are also great for sending audio signals from the PC, Home Stereo, TV or music player to up to 2 Bluetooth headphones. Beyond that, it can also be applied to various use cases as listed below:
- Large living room for music or TV transmission to Bluetooth headphones
- Moving from room to room without interrupting your listening experience
- Transmit music source (game, radio, vinyl, CD, mp3 player) to Bluetooth speakers outdoor for dining on the patio, lounging by the pool, working in the yard, playing in the garden or finishing projects in the garage.
Just when you thought you couldn’t enjoy your CD or Vinyl music collection in the garden, backyard, pool or garage, think again. These long range Bluetooth transmitter receiver will push your Bluetooth signal further. Just connect a portable Bluetooth speaker or your favourite Bluetooth headset and you can enjoy uninterrupted music both indoor or outdoor while the CD or Vinyl player is spinning your tunes right from the living room.
What you need to know about a long range Bluetooth Transmitter Receiver
Here are some of the features you will find on a long range transmitter receiver
- 2-in-1 Bluetooth Adapter: that can work as a transmitter or a receiver.
- Transmitter: To send non-Bluetooth source (PC, TV, CD, iPod, MP3 player to Bluetooth headsets or speakers.
- Receiver: To stream music from Bluetooth enabled mobile devices to a non-Bluetooth speaker or amplifier such as Sonos, powered speakers, home stereo system, AV receiver and more.
- Range: around 300 ft line of sight or approximately 150 ft in door range is quite common.
- Low Latency: Uses aptX and aptX-II technology to achieve low latency so there is no delay in what you hear to avoid lip sync problems. Headphones need to support aptX Low Latency. In some cases, the unit needs to be powered by supplied cable and adapter.
- Dual Link: pair with up to 2 headphones to listen to the same audio source. The typical use of this is for when watching TV in the evening without disturbing the kids. In receiver mode, pair with up to two source devices e.g. smartphone and tablet.
- Easy Pairing: voice prompts guide you through the pairing process in receiver mode for confirmation and successful pairing.
- Pass Through: support signal pass through from source to AV receiver or sound bar. Allowing you to listen via wired on the speakers or send the signal wirelessly via Bluetooth to the headphones. Some unit offers optical signal pass through. Basically, the audio signal is available on both wired (optical) and wireless channels, you just need to decide which driver to switch on, speakers or headphones.
- Different Listening Volumes: With the pass through feature, those who prefer to a louder or softer listening experience can use over-ear headphones while others can listen to the audio via the speakers.
The only caveat is that when connecting the optical output from the TV to the unit, be sure to set the audio format to PCM. Dolby/DTS audio are not supported by the Bluetooth transmitter receiver.
Top 5 Best Long Range Bluetooth Transmitter Receivers
- Miccus RTX 2.0 Long Range Bluetooth Transmitter Receiver – 300 ft
- Avantree Long Range Bluetooth Transmitter Receiver – 295 ft
- 1Mii Long Range Bluetooth Transmitter Receiver – 265 ft
- Visoud Long Range Bluetooth Transmitter Receiver – 262 ft
- Boltune Bluetooth Transmitter Receiver – 164 ft
Miccus RTX 2.0 Long Range Bluetooth Transmitter Receiver – 300 ft
Miccus promises up to 300 ft line-of-sight connectivity outdoor and up to 160 ft indoors when other standard bluetooth transmitter receivers can only achieve up to 33 ft. You can boost your Bluetooth audio output and enjoy your music anywhere around the house be it the patio, yard, pool or garage. The Miccus RTX 2.0 even lets you connect up to 2 aptX Low Latency compliant headphones for High Fidelity and zero lag audio. Other features include Optical bypass to use wired for sound bar or AV and Bluetooth devices together. Connectivity options include optical, 2.4mm and RCA for both input and output. Setup is easy with voice prompts for conformation, LED indicators and required cable adapters.
Avantree Oasis Plus Long Range Bluetooth Transmitter Receiver – 295 ft
The Avantree Oasis Plus is a long range Bluetooth transmitter receiver with a healthy range of up to 164ft or 50 meter outdoor and about 50-70ft (20-30m) indoor. With the right headphones that range can go up to 295 ft and if two Oasis Plus units are used as a transmitter and receiver pair, it will go up to 328ft.
It features Qualcomm aptX low latency codec over Bluetooth 4.2 to eliminate audio lag perfect to enjoy TV shows and movies. However, this will require your headphones to also support aptX low latency of you may face high delays between 70-230ms. The touch panel is a treat to use coupled with voice prompts lets you pair and connect easily. If you find the voice prompts annoying, you can also turn this off.
A series of LED indicators lets you in on the status of the connection and codec used. Bypass mode is also available to let you connect to both Bluetooth and pipe through the optical output from the TV to the soundbar or AV receiver. This unit also has the large number of connectivity options; RCA or 3.5mm and Optical Output as well as RCA or 3.5mm and Optical Input.
It is worth noting that when using the digital Optical output, change the TV or DVD audio settings to PCM format as the unit does not support Dolby or DTS audio.
A cheaper Avantree Oasis Long Range Bluetooth transmitter receiver in white is also available but lacks Apt HD 24 bit audio codec, no support for Dual Link Low Latency and no simultaneous output (wired and Bluetooth).
1Mii Long Range Bluetooth Transmitter Receiver – 230 ft / 265ft
When one external antenna is not enough, try two. This is exactly what you get with the 1Mii Long Range Bluetooth Transmitter Receiver. It is capable of up carrying the Bluetooth signal up to 230 ft outdoor and up to 110 ft indoor. With colour coded buttons, LED indicator and slider switches all easily accessible on the top panel, it could not be easier to configure and get connected. Plus, it supports NFC function for quick and easy tap to pair and start streaming.
It uses Bluetooth 4.2 technology with aptX Low Latency codec to eliminate audio delay and avoid lip syncing issue. On top of that, it also supports Dual Stream feature to simultaneously stream to 2 headphones for private listening. The steps to pair two headphones are very specific by pairing one headphones at the time. Then there is the Bypass mode with four different connectivity options as listed below:
- Aux in/Aux out: Aux LED on.
- Opt in/Opt out: Opt LED on.
- Aux in/Opt out: Aux LED flash first and then Opt LED on.
- Opt in/Aux out: Opt LED flash first and then Aux LED on.
ALSO: A more expensive 1Mii B03Pro Long Range Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter Receiver (shown above) with even longer range of up to 265ft outdoor and up to 110ft indoor is also available. The B03Pro uses Bluetooth 5.0 aptX HD codec. It is capable of carrying high fidelity stereo sound at 24bit. You only need to ensure that your audio source is HD quality. Alternatively, switch from HD to Low Latencity priority to enjoy lag free audio especially when watching TV.
Visoud B22 Long Range Bluetooth Transmitter Receiver – 262 ft
Visoud is the only Bluetooth transmitter receiver in our list with built-in rechargeable battery. The 1000mAh battery allows for up to 20 hours in receiver mode and up to 15 hours in transmitter mode. Charge up the unit in around 4.5 hours. Otherwise, it is everything you would expect from a long Bluetooth transmitter receiver. The long range transmission up to 262 ft outdoor (line-of-sight) and up to 110 ft indoor.
The Bluetooth 5.0 aptX HD codec for high-fidelity audio to enjoy HD quality music. The aptX Low Latency codec to eliminate audio lag when enjoying TV shows and dual simultaneous Bluetooth headphones connection. It also supports bypass mode. Choose between Bluetooth wireless mode or wired bypass mode for the way you wish to enjoy your music. The unit also supports 3.5mm auxiliary, optical and RCA input and output with included adapter cables. Lastly, as a bonus, the B22 features one-touch NFC pairing to quickly connet compatible NFC enabled Bluetooth devices.
Boltune BT-BA002 Bluetooth Transmitter Receiver – 164 ft
Boltune BT-BA002 is a 164ft (line of sight) long range Bluetooth transmitter receiver module with bypass (direct cable connection) support. In bypass mode, the audio signal is available on both wired (bypass mode) and Bluetooth output simultaneously. However, this will only work with the same type of input or output i.e. Auxiliary input to Auxiliary output or Optical input to Optical output.
Based on Bluetooth 5.0, it features aptX Low Latency codec to eliminate lip sync delay. This is extended to up to two headphones with Dual Link support, perfect for a quiet evening after putting the kids to bed. Now, if you would prefer high-quality 24-bit HD audio, switch over to aptX HD to ensure that you get a better than CD (16-bit) listening experience. This is achieved with Qualcomm aptX HD technology. Finally, for ease of connectivity, the unit supports optical, RCA and 3.5mm auxiliary, easily accessible buttons and LED indicators but no NFC pairing.
OTHERS (Bluetooth Receivers)
The following are long range Bluetooth receivers. These do not work for those who wish to send (transmit) their TV audio source via Bluetooth to their wireless headphones. The main application for these receivers is to enable non-Bluetooth Amplifiers, Home Stereos, AV Receivers, Mixers and Power Speakers to receive music and audio streams over Bluetooth from mobile devices such as smartphone or tablet.
1Mii B06Pro Long Range Bluetooth Receiver – 197ft
Besign BE-RCA Long Range Bluetooth Receiver – 100ft
Auris bluMe HD Long Range Bluetooth Receiver – 100ft