Subject to the amount of additional memory your smartphone can support over the microSD slot or sometimes the secondary SIMS slot, these microSD and microSDXC cards lets you carry all your files and more.
Fresh from the unveiling of the biggest SD card in the world, the prototype from SanDisk, a whooping 1 TB – ultra high capacity SDXC card, we look at some of the high performance MicroSD cards for smartphones and tablets. Feeling limited by the on-board storage on your smartphone? If you have a smartphone that supports microSD card via an expansion slot or secondary SIM slot that also doubles as microSD expansion slot then you are in luck.
Flash memory card manufacturers are able to squeeze a huge amount of memory onto a tiny little card no bigger than the nail on your finger. SanDisk came up with a microSDXC with 200GB and later 256GB capacity allowing you to carry huge amount of data. This can be your entire collection of music, movies, or TV series to enjoy on your tablet or smartphone.
Their announcement having launched the biggest capacity microSD card in March 2015 was quickly eclipsed by Samsung in May 2016, with the revealing of the Samsung EVO Plus 256GB micro SD card. The SD card is said to deliver fast performance and is suitable not only for smartphones and tablets for but 360 degree video recorders, action cameras and drones.
With that kind of storage you can store up to 12 hours of 4K UHD video or 33 hours of Full HD video. The EVO Plus uses Samsung’s advanced V-NAND technology and is able to achieve read and write speeds up to 95MB/s and 90MB/s respectively.
“With the upward trend of consumers using high-performance, high-capacity mobile devices, our new, V-NAND-based 256GB microSD card solution allows us to deliver the memory card consumers have been craving,”
– Un-Soo Kim, Memory Business at Samsung Electronics.
However, one must remember that not all microSD card slots are the same. Check with your manufacturer or the specification sheet of your smartphone or tablet to learn more about the maximum supported memory.
Best Huge Capacity 256GB microSD Memory Cards
There are not many 200GB or 256GB microSD cards on offer right now. Manufacturers that offer cards with this capacity does so with a compromise. These are Class 10 speed rated cards capable of Full HD video capture only. If you are looking for microSD cards to support Ultra HD (UHD) video capture, look for smaller, 4K ready microSD cards in the next section.
- SanDisk Ultra 200GB microSD UHS-I CARD up to 90MB/s – FULL HD
- Samsung EVO Select 256GB Micro SDXC Memory Card up to 95MB/s – FULL HD
- SanDisk Ultra 256GB microSD UHS-I CARD up to 95MB/s – FULL HD
- Lexar High Performance 633X 200GB UHS-I microSDXC Card up to 95MB/s – FULL HD
- BONUS: Samsung EVO Plus 256GB microSDXC UHS-I U3 up to 95MB/s– 4K READY
12 Best High Performance, High Capacity 128MB microSD Memory Cards
Fast microSDXC starts with transfer rate of up to 60MB/s and beyond are rated using UHS-I speed classification with U1 for fast and U3 for super fast. A 128GB microSD card stores approximately 45,550 photos and up to 1,775 minutes of HD video. For 4K UHD video capture, you will need U3 rated cards. 4K capture ready cards are highlighted below.
- SanDisk Extreme PRO 128GB UHS-I/U3 SDXC Flash Memory Card up to 95MB/s – 4K READY
- Samsung Pro Plus 128GB MicroSDXC Memory Card up to 95MB/s – 4K READY
- SanDisk Extreme 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card up to 90MB/s – 4K READY
- SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter up to 80MB/s
- Samsung EVO Select 128GB Micro SDXC Memory Card up to 80MB/s
- Sony 128GB SR-UY3A Class 10 UHS-1 Micro SDXC Memory Card up to 90MB/s
- PNY Elite-X 128GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-I, U3 up to 90MB/S – 4K READY
- Silicon Power 128GB MicroSDXC UHS-1 Class10 up to 75MB/s
- Patriot LX Series 128GB High Speed Micro SDXC Class 10 UHS-I up to 70MB/s
- PNY Elite 128GB MicroSDXC Card with Adapter -UHS-I, U1 up to 85MB/s
- Lexar Professional 1000x microSDXC 128GB UHS-II/U3 up to 150MB/s – 4K READY
- Samsung EVO Plus 128GB Micro SDXC Card Class 10 up to 80MB/s
- SanDisk Extreme PLUS 128GB microSD UHS-I CARD up to 95MB/s – 4K READY
- Amplim 128GB Micro SD Card Plus Adapter Class 10 UHS-I up to 90MB/s
Manufacturers choose to display the read transfer rate instead of the write as this is always higher. However, a high read speed does not necessary mean a high write speed. The unsually unpublished write speed is what determines a good memory card for high resolution video capture, one capable of Full HD (FHD) or Ultra HD (UHD). The chart below shows the memory cards read performance.
The following table shows if a given memory card is 4K video capture ready.
|MicroSD Memory Cards||MB/s||MB/s||Resolution||Capture|
|SanDisk Extreme PRO 128GB||95||–||UHD||4K Ready|
|Samsung Pro Plus 128GB||95||90||UHD||4K Ready|
|SanDisk Extreme 128GB||90||60||UHD||4K Ready|
|SanDisk Ultra 128GB||80||–||FHD|
|Samsung EVO Select 128GB||80||20||FHD|
|Sony SR-UY3A 128GB||90||–||FHD|
|PNY Elite-X 128GB||90||–||UHD||4K Ready|
|Silicon Power 128GB||75||–||FHD|
|Patriot LX 128GB||70||20||FHD|
|PNY Elite 128GB||85||–||FHD|
|Lexar Professional 1000x 128GB||150||–||UHD||4K Ready|
|Samsung EVO Plus 128GB||80||20||FHD|
|SanDisk Extreme PLUS 128GB||95||90||UHD||4K Ready|