Apple’s best operating system, the intuitive iOS in a portable package with a bold and bright 7.9-inch high resolution Retina display is easily the best execution for a small tablet.
Now that the iPad mini 3 is out, the iPad mini with Retina Display is re-market as iPad mini 2 with further saving to be had.
While the original Apple’s iPad mini (without Retina display) is now a lot more affordable. For a little more money you can get the iPad mini 2.
The Retina display packs over 3.1 million pixels (2048 x 1536 resolution at 326 ppi) brings up every detail in your photos and videos. While text appears razor sharp and colours, brilliant.
The 7.9-inch LED-backlit Multi-Touch display with IPS technology is protected by a layer of fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating.
At the core of the iPad mini with Retina display is the powerful and power efficient A7 chip with 64-bit architecture and M7 motion coprocessor, pushing everything at high speed.
The front facing 1.2MP FaceTime HD Camera is capable of 720p HD video capture with face detection, backside illumination, tap to control exposure for video and stills and photo and video geotagging.
The rear facing 5MP iSight camera is capable of 1080p HD video recording with video stabilisation, face detection, tap to focus while recording, backside illumination and 3x video zoom. The five-element lens features hybrid IR filiter, f/2.4 aperture, tap to control exposure, photo and video geotagging as well as HDR photo capture.
The real value of Apple’s tablet is in the built-in apps and free apps that you can download from the App Store. Here’s a look at the barrage of apps:
What You Need to Know
- 7.9-inch Retina display with LED-backlit Multi-Touch display with IPS technology at 2048 x 1536 resolution at 326ppi
- A7 chip with 64-bit architecture and M7 motion coprocessor
- 1.2MP FaceTime HD Camera (front facing), 5MP iSight Camera (rear facing)
- Storage options: 16, 32, 64 and 128GB
- Up to 10 hours battery life for surfing on WiFi, watchign video or listening to music
- Sensors: three-axis gyro, accelerometer, ambient light sensor, digital compass
- Dual microphones, dual speakers, lightning connector, 3.5mm stereo headphone mini jack
- WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n dual channel (2.4GHz and 5GHz) and MIMO, Bluetooth 4.0 Technology
- Dimensions: 134.7 x 200 x 7.5mm, weighs 331 grams
CML Rating: 5 Stars
Even though the iPad mini 3 is out, the iPad mini 2 makes a lot of sense both for the pocket and in terms of its specs.