Taking the place of its predecessor the Sony Xperia Z2 10.1-inch is the Sony Xperia Z4 10.1-inch tablet. And, before we go further, no we did not skip a generation in the line of succession. Sony used the name Xperia Z3 to refer to its compact and lightweight 8.1-inch tablet, the Apple iPad mini rival.
Sony Xperia Z4 and Xperia Z2 Compared
Many have favoured the Xperia Z2 for its slim and solid build, water proof design and powerful processor. With the Xperia Z4, the specification is pushed even higher with a faster 64bit processor, better battery life, higher resolution front facing camera and the biggest improvement being the 2K display which is not only sharper, it is also 40% brighter than the display on the Z2 and capable of delivering true to life colours.
Even with all these improvements, Sony was able to shave some weight off this new generation tablet and make it even slimmer than its predecessor. The Z4 tablet is only 6.1 mm slim compared to 6.4 mm and weighs only 389 grams compared to a whooping 439 grams with the Z2. And for those who take their tablet wherever they go, whatever the condition, you will be glad to know that that Z4 is still waterproof (up to 1.5 meters) and dust proof complying to the IP65/68 standards.
With Sony being a media and entertainment company as well as a technology giant, it is easy to see how they would take advantage of their expertise and know how in making the Xperia tablets the perfect media consuming devices to watch films and TV shows, to listen to music and to play games.
Both Xperia Z2 and Z4 displays couple with the powerful Quad-Core and Octa-Core processors respectively, work wonderfully when streaming and viewing high definition video contents for the ultimate viewing experience. Both tablets also support digital noise cancelling technology, High-Res Audio and headphone compensation. Although, to make the most of the noise cancelling feature, you will need a pair of DNC (Digital Noise Cancelling) headphones.
In terms of design, the new Xperia Z4 has a rolled and smooth edge akin to the new iPhone 6, with its durable tempered glass front and clean flat rear surface. The ultra-thin and lightweight design, the lightest in its class, is great for handling. It simply means that one-handed use feels effortless and easy on the hand and wrist. The Xperia Z2 one the other hand feels more weighted and while still very slim, has slightly angular corners. Both tablets still have the signature shinny power button seen on all premium Xperia products.
Let’s look at the detailed specifications for both these tablets and how they compare.
- 2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 810, 64-bit Octa-core (Quad-core 1.5 GHz Cortex-A53 & Quad-core 2 GHz Cortex-A57) and Adreno 430 Graphics – OCTA-CORE PROCESSOR
- 10.1-inch 2560 x 1600 pixels 2K Display with Live colour LED technology with Scratch-resistant glass + Anti fingerprint coating – HIGHER RES.
- 3GB Memory
- 32GB Flash memory with microSD expansion slot for up to 128GB extra storage – BIGGER STORAGE
- 8.1MP rear facing camera, 5.1MP front facing caemra with Full HD 1080p video capture – HIGHER RES. REAR CAMERA
- Waterproof and dust tight (IP65 and IP68)
- Battery Life: up to 17 hours 6000 mAh Li-Polymer – LONGER BATTERY LIFE
- Dimensions and Weight: 167 x 254 x 6.1 mm, 389 grams – SLIMMER & LIGHTER
- Android OS 5.0 Lollipop
- 2.3 GHz Qualcomm MSM8974AB Quad-core and Adreno 330 Graphics
- 10.1-inch 1920 x 1200 pixels 16 million colours TRILUMINOS display
- 3GB Memory
- 16GB Flash Memory (microSD, up to 64GB)
- 8.1MP rear facing camera, 2.2MP front facing camera with Full HD 1080p video recording
- IPX5/8 (waterproof) & IP5X (dust-resistant)
- Battery life: up to 13 hours 6000 mAh Li-Polymer
- Dimensions and Weight: 172 x 266 x 6.4 mm, 439 grams
- Android OS 4.4 Kit Kat with Android 5.0 update promised
Both tablets are available in black or white and come in either WiFi only or WiFi and 4G LTE options.
If you are in the market for a premium 10.1-inch tablet, the Sony Xperia Z4 is definitely worth a look. If you already own the Sony Xperia Z2, we won’t go running out to get the latest Xperia Z4, unless you can find a way to get rid of your Z2, like a relation looking for tablet and won’t mind something last season. The Xperia Z2 is still a very capable tablet.