Thermomix, the renowed cooking appliance is inspiring not only homemakers but professional cooks in preparing their favourite cuisine quickly and easily. Competitors have their work cut out for them but nothing is stopping them from coming up with some worthy alternatives.
An all-in-one coooking appliance is not an easy feat and certainly alternatives out there will need to work hard to come up with a worth opponent to equal or beat an appliance as versatile and robust as the Thermomix.
Given its popularity, other manufactures are following suit, offering their version of the cook processor.
Still there are those who tried and succeeded in making an equivalent or worthy alternative. It is only time when an appliance will emerge that will shoot pass the master. When considering an alternative, what will it need to do to come close to a Thermomix. For start, let’s look at what the cooking appliance is capable of.
The Thermomix food processor weigh, chop, blend, mix, grind, grate, cook, steam, knead all within one machine. The 12 functions that cover virtually all the appliances you will ever need in the kitchen include blending, mixing, steaming, weighing, emulsifying, grinding, stirring, whisking, chopping, controlled heating, cooking and kneading.
There is also a colour touchscreen display with guided cooking instructions. Using the smart Recipe Chip and Guided Cooking function, you can follow on-screen recipe instructions to prepare varity of meals. The custom recipes are created to work with the appliance. Simply add the ingredients and Thermomix will do the rest, setting the right temperature and timing.
Simplicity is what an appliance as complex as the Thermomix needs to be. Apart from the touch screen, it has one selector dial making it really intuitive and easy to control. Careful design and attention is needed in making the device user friendly particularly when combining so many different cooking functions in one single appliance.
Now the key selling features of the Thermomix is that while it is expensive, it will save money in the long run replacing multiple kitchen appliances, that is if you don’t already have them. Still it would mean not replacing individual appliances and saving energy and time transferring from one appliance to another.
It’s target clients are also working adults that wants to take the hassle and time out of preparing meals when they come back from work. A timer and programme function for heat level and speed is a must to allow one to walk away from the appliance knowing that the food will be prepared when they come back with fully automated cooking process.
Thermomix also encourage healthy eating through gentle cooking of ingredients and thousands of recipes that allow users to easily manage their meals with attention to specific dietary requirements like allergies or diet regime. New recipes continue to be added and a growing community of owners meant that you can be more creative with the appliance, making your dishes the way you like it.
Thermomix Recipe Platform include recipe book, website and app to help you plan your meals, choose the recipe, get the ingredients and cook the Thermomix way.
Lastly, any appliance that wants to go head to head with Thermomix will need to have the same level of quality and reliability. A single device that does everything will need to operate longer and harder than every appliance it replaces and Thermomix is known for being an engineering masterpiece created to take the brunt of everyday use.
Top 5 Thermomix Alternatives
A quick look at our list of alternatives:
- KitchenAid Artisan Cook Processor
- Bellini Kitchen Master
- BioChef Mycook Multi-function All-in-One Thermo Cooker
- Moulinex HF800A Cuisine Companion or Tefal Cuisine Companion
- Kenwood kCook MultiCooking Food Processor
- Severin KM 3985 James The Wonder Machine
- Morphy Richards 562000 Supreme Precision 10 in 1 Multicooker
- GOURMETmaxx Thermal Multi-Cooker
Tough act to follow, but here is what the competitors have to offer with mostly costing only a fraction of the Thermomix:
1. KitchenAid Artisan Cook Processor – APP
If there is a manufacturer you can rely on to get the formula for an all-in-one cook processor right, that manufacturer is KitchenAid. Branching out from stand mixers, KitchenAid now does blenders, food processors, coffee machines, bean grinders, slow cookers and multi cookers as well as smaller counter top appliances like hand blenders, hand mixers, toasters and waffle makers. The Artisan Cook Processor is the company’s first all-in-one cook appliance and it does not disappoint.
- 12 Functions including boiling, frying, steaming, kneading, chopping, pureeing.
- 6 Automatic Cook functions (Boil, Fry, Stew, Steam, Puree and Dough) as well as standard modes
- App: KitchenAid Cook Processor (iOS and Android) for ways to use the cook processor from cremy risotto to steamed fresh shrimp
- Simple and easy to use for different variation of cooking method; automatically set speed, temperature and cooking time. The unit beeps when the food is ready to be served.
- High temperature cooking of 140°C with thick layer of aluminium in the steel pot for faster and more even cooking.
- Material: Varnished die-cast – Steel in different colours complete with handle and hinged lid.
- Accessories: StirAssit, Egg Whip, Multiblade, Dough Blade, Upper and Lower Steamer Basket with Lid, Inner Basket, Mini Bowl with Mini Multiblade, Measuring Cup
- Dimensions: L.31,4 P.34,2 H.41,1
- Bowl capacity 4.5 L (6 or more people) – Cable length 100 cm. – Cookbook included – BIG CAPACITY
- Colour Choices: Candy Apple, Empire Red, Almond Cream, Frosted Pearl, Onyx Black, Medallion Silver.
The Bellini kitchen master combines the function of 8 appliances in 1 and includes a 2 liter stainless steel bowl and everything you need to chop, mix, mince, whip, knead blend and stir. It has a very similar profile to that of the Thermomix but with the control panel on the side. The kitchen master can also cook, fry and steam using the precise temperature control feature and steam set!
You can stirs your custard or stroganoff with no supervision. Throw in your vegetables and oil to have them chopped and sautéed before adding your raw meat which will then be cooked perfectly while it mixes with the veggies. Steaming a side dish with the attachment above the bowl. Cleaning up after cooking is a breeze because everything goes right into the one stainless steel bowl and the blades pop out effortlessly with a switch on the bottom.
Included: external kitchen scale, mixing tool, heat resistant spatula, steaming set, 2 Liter stainless steel bowl, cooking basket, stainless steel chopping blade, stainless steel stirring blade, lid with built in measuring cup, motor based housing.
- 8 cooking functions. High powered motor allows you to chop, mince, whip, knead, blend stir and crush ice.
- Precise heating element enables you to simultaneously cook, fry and steam. Easy controls and LCD display.
- 1000W heating power with adjustable temperature control
- 800W power motor with variable 10 speed rotary control
- Capacity: 2 Liter (4-5 people)
- Bilingual recipe booklet with over 60 recipes with separate scale.
The BioChef MyCook is an evolution for the healthy kitchen with thermal cooking induction technology, performing 15 kitchen tasks. European-designed energy efficient kitchen appliance, the BioChef MyCook is another appliance that shares a similar cooking tower profile to the Thermomix except for the side control panel. There is a state of the art LED timer and display and the much loved fully integrated scales allow for perfect results every time. Induction heating means that ingredients are cooked by the hot air instead of in contact with a heating element. This seals in the natural flavours, juices and nutrients. Hundreds of recipes are included in the comprehensive recipe book so you will never be left without meal ideas.
- 15 different functions including steaming, frying, kneading, blending, grinding, mincing, shredding, emulsifying, whipping, beating, gentle mix and turbo.
- Precision fully integrated scale weighing function for accuracy
- Energy saving Induction Technology meaning quicker heating and cooling and greater control, cook complete meals in 15 to 30 mins.
- Easy cleaning function
- Easy to control heating and speed settings, Power: 1000W
- Recipe book with hundreds of recipes
4. Moulinex HF800A Cuisine Companion (Also known as Tefal Cuisine Companion)
Depending on where you are, the same multi-cooker appliance may be called different things. Moulinex or Tefal Cuisine Companion is one of such cooker. The user centric cooker has a big control panel with easy soft touch buttons with direct access to one of 6 automatic cooking programmes. Here is a simplier single pot cooker that does most of what the other cook processors in this list are capable of.
The appliance also has 5 dedicated accessories; ultrablade knife for chopping and dicing any food, stirrer or mixing accessory to mix ideal for risottos and soups, blade for mixing / chopping to make pastries and pizzas, whisker accessory whip / whisk to mount, emulsify and produce sweets and finally, 2 L steamer basket for steaming, ideal for fish and vegetables.
- Functions: kneading or sautéing, whipping or steaming, crushing or coarsely puréeing and much more…
- 6 automatic programs: soup, sauce, steam, dessert, pastry, slowcook and manual.
- 5 dedicated accessories and storage box
- Temperature: 30 to 130 degree Celsius
- Timer: 5 seconds to 2 hours
- Capacity: 4.5 Litre (6 people or more) – BIG CAPACITY
- Cookbook with 300 recipes
The Kenwood kCook cooking food processor will make creating healthy, homemade meals easy. Again, a single pot profile, the kCook makes cooking easy. Use it with the companion app to whip up the meal of your choice from a selection of over 200 recipes. Complete with a simple, step-by-step guide and pre-set functions a variety of dishes can be prepared with confidence, freeing up more time to do other tasks. The control panel is the easiest to follow with soft touch buttons only. There are no knobs or buttons to content with. When using recipe programmes, the time will be set automatically but can be changed manually. You can also manually control the stir speed and temperature level as required. The lockable lid is required to be in place for safety once temperature hits 60 degrees.
- 3 cook functions: one pot, sauces/soups and steam
- Recipes with over 200 simple recipes over iOS and Android app called Kenwood kCook.
- 3 preset temperature settings with programmable timer
- Included: metal bowl, 3 tools (chopping blade, steaming basket, stirring paddle), cleaning brush, measuring cup, spatula and processing blade
- Capacity: 1.5 Liter (total bowl capacity 2.5 liter) big enough to serve a family of 4 people
- Cooking power: 800W, Motor: 150W
- Dedicated chop button, start and stop to activate or pause programme and cancel.
- 10 Cooking Functions: the all-round talent for cooking, steaming, grinding, beating, kneading, mixing, blending, emulsifying, shredding and heating
- Capacity: 1.5 liter. Included: stainless steel blender jug, 4-part steamer, 60 minute timer; LED Display; a butterfly stirring attachment and a recipe book
- 4 temperature settings for cooking and steaming: 200 rpm = 37 C, 70 C, 100 C and 0 rpm = 120 C
- 5 power settings incl. turbo: 400 rpm, 1,000 rpm, 6,000 rpm, turbo: 7,000 rpm
- Versatile multi-cooker with 10 cooking functions and over 70 inspirational recipes included
- Two automatic programmes with 12 pre-programmed dishes with automatic temperature, time and speed settings
- Easy to use digital display and countdown timer to create a range of healthy meals with desired results
- Large 1.2 L stainless steel jug feeds up to four people
- Easy to clean removable parts for quick tidying
- Functions: 9 different functions; mixing, pureeing, emulsifying, beating, chopping, boiling, cooking, steaming and crushing ice
- Extremely versatile multi-function food processor
- Powerful motor: max. 4.500 rpm, Heating: 1000 Watts
- Illuminated display and 60 minute timer
A cook processor is only really practical if you are preparing a single dish meal. To make the most of these cook processors, and prepare a multi-course meal, one would need a few of these. Considering the appliances that it replaces i.e. standard food processor, blender, mixer, mincer, saucepan, steamer, weighing machine, frying pan, chopper, stove, cooker or hob, it may not be a bad idea to have a few of them. We are not saying it is impossible to prepare a multi course meal. With careful planning and organisation, there is nothing stopping one from cooking a storm. Combine it with saucepans, frying pans and pots.